Thursday, October 16, 2008


We are home, and our house now really is a home.

Right now, Momma is in Jake's room trying to get one of the U.S.'s newest citizens asleep. It's been a long, long day for us all. It started out when we woke up just after 4 a.m. Thursday in Guangzhou so we would get ready for a flight to Tokyo. And, here it is nearly midnight Thursday night in Oklahoma.

Jake handled the long airplane ride really well, although there were a couple of crying fits, especially when we tried to get him to go to sleep. He finally laid there quietly and went to sleep. The amazing thing is, some where out over the Pacific Ocean he went to sleep at 8 p.m. China time, which is his normal bedtime. He didn't sleep his full 10+ hours, though, but he did sleep some.

Since then, every time the poor guy falls asleep we've been waking him up. He slept the whole flight from Minneapolis to Wichita (1 1/2 hours), then we had to wake him to get off the plane. My parents, sister, brother in law, nephew and pastor were there at the airport to greet us, and we rode home with my parents (a 2-hour drive), but we stopped off and had to wake him after an hour to see Violet's mother. Then, he fell asleep again and we had to wake him when we got to my parents' house. Then we had to wake him when we got to our house.

He seemed to adjust well to all the new faces. He was leary at first, but then he warmed up to everyone.

Being in China was wonderful. We had such a good time, but it's good to be home, and it's so good to have a child in our home.



Gina said...

Welcome home! I have so enjoyed following your blog and your journey to your precious son! Buckle your seatbelts because parenthood is a wild, but oh so joyous ride! Gina

Baby J's Mama said...

Welcome home! The fun is just beginning... all those 'firsts' yet to be had!

Cindy said...

Hope to see you guys come by the office when you feel little Jake is up to it! All of us can't wait to meet him!

The Gang's All Here! said...

Congrats on making it home and through your first day on familiar turf! Can't wait to hear more about your adjustments . . .

Tracy said...

Just remember - getting through the jet lag is the hardest part and then it will get easier! So glad you are home with your little guy - FINALLY!

Sherri & Todd said...

Welcome home! I so enjoyed following you on your journey. Jake is one cute little guy.

Now just so you know - I tagged you and to learn more about that you need to visit our blog.


Shannon & Dan said... happy for you! What a wonderful feeling, huh? Congrats to the three of you! And welcome back!

Steph said...

Congratulations on your homecoming! I remember the feeling of A)The jet lag, B) A toddler with jet lage, C) Feeling glad to be home, and D)Missing China...all at the same time.

It gets easier and easier (some of it at least). Trust me!

Welcome home!

holly k said...

Hope all is going well.
We were curious to know how all is going.
I keep checking for updates.
Are you all going to continue your blog?
You all have probably just been busy enjoying life as a family and adjusting to the new time and everything.
The adjustment will take some time.
We look forward to hearing from you again.